Beeline doesn't download (Settings Sync)
Unfortunately, PhpStorm does not sync settings repositories if Settings Sync is enabled. This is a PhpStorm restriction, and you have three options to handle this situation.
Disable Settings Sync
The easiest way to handle this would be to disable Settings Sync. This is the only solution if you wish to get automatic Beeline updates.
- You can do this by going to File > Manage IDE Settings > IDE Settings Sync > Disable Sync.
- After doing this, restart PhpStorm, and Beeline should then sync up to PhpStorm.
Disable Settings Sync, rename Beeline templates, then re-enable Settings Sync
Use this option if you'd like to enable Settings Sync, with the trade-off of not receiving automatic Beeline updates.
- If you'd like to use Beeline with Settings Sync, you must first disable Settings Sync following the directions above. After it is disabled, restart PhpStorm, then set up the Beeline Settings Repository using the standard installation instructions.
- After restarting PhpStorm again, you should now see the Beeline templates. Confirm this is the case:
- Then, rename the template group names by right-clicking on them, then going to Rename. For example, append a " - local" to the end of each template group.
- Next, go to PhpStorm > Preferences > Tools > Settings Repository, and uncheck the Beeline repository from Read-only sources:
- Click OK, then restart PhpStorm. After restarting, the Beeline live templates will have been downloaded and saved locally, since they were renamed.
- You can now re-enable Settings Sync by going to File > Manage IDE Settings > Sync Settings to JetBrains account.
- Any time you wish to re-pull updates from Beeline, you will need to remove or re-name the Beeline template groups, then repeat this process.
Clone & symlink the Beeline GitHub Repository
You can also clone the Beeline GitHub repository, and symlink it into PhpStorm. You will not have automatic updates, but can easily pull down updates with Git. This is a good trade-off if you'd like to keep Settings Sync enabled, and are ok with pulling down Beeline updates with Git.
- Choose a spot on your local filesystem, for example `~/Sites`, and clone Beeline to it:
git clone [email protected]:markshust/beeline-magento-2-phpstorm.git ~/Sites/beeline-magento-2-phpstorm
- Next, find the PhpStorm configuration directory. On Mac, this is located at:
- You will now want to symlink the Beeline templates into the `templates` directory of this folder. For example, for PhpStorm 2021.1 you would run the following command:
ln -s ~/Sites/beeline-magento-2-phpstorm/templates/Beeline* ~/Library/Application\ Support/JetBrains/PhpStorm2021.1/templates/
- After restarting PhpStorm, you should now see the Beeline templates:
- Now anytime you would like to update Beeline, go to the directory you cloned it out to, and pull the latest updates with:
Then after restarting PhpStorm, Beeline will be updated.